Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Pillowcase Romper Tutorial

Hello everyone! I found this cute green polka dot material at the thrift store a while back and it just really wanted to be made into something and what could be easier than a pillowcase dress?? Well, pillowcase dresses I've done before, and I just wanted something new, something a little different. So, I morphed it into the pillowcase romper!


I will preface this by saying I learned a lot in the process of making this romper. I had several firsts as I created this, but none were truly as terrifying as I had built them up to be. One of those being the snaps... I had never used my snap pliers despite having them for probably over a year. Piece of cake. If I can do it, you can do it. :)  I have made a few adjustments to this tutorial since making this romper Little J is wearing and I will point these things out as we go.

Materials:
  • 3/4 to 1 yard of fabric
  • 1/2 in. elastic
  • 1/4 in. elastic
  • 1/2 in. double fold bias tape
  • snaps
There are a few measurements you will need to get of your child.
  1. All the way around your child's chest.
  2. From right between your child's shoulders to ankles.
  3. Between your child's shoulders to the inseam (crotch.)
  4. Armpit to armpit across the front.
  5. Around your child's lower leg (lower calf/shin area.)
Take the number you got for #1 and double that to get the width of your fabric you need to cut.  Take the number you got for #2 and add 2 inches for the length.  My fabric piece is 24 x 38.


Now fold that piece in half lengthwise right side to right side.  Sew down the side with a 1/2 in. seam allowance.


Finish that seam and then iron.  Turn right side out.  Now to make the arm holes, measure 3-4 in. across and 3-4 in. down and mark with a fabric marker or chalk.  (For an 18 month size do 3" x 3".  My arm holes turned out a little too big.)


Now you are going to cut out the shape of a J on both of those corners using the marks you just made.


Turn inside out again and fold the top front piece down 1/4 in. and iron.  Then fold down another 1 in. and iron.  Repeat for the top back piece also.  This will be your elastic casing.


Now sew across the bottom edge of your casing stitching closely to the fold.


Now lay your romper out flat and fold in half.  Take the number you got for #3 and add 1.5 in. to that.  Using that number measure down from the top of the elastic casing.  Mark at the side edge of your romper.


Cut out a piece shaped like my cut in the picture below.


When you open it back up it will look like this.


Now you need to get out some of your extra left over fabric.  Take the piece you just cut from your romper and lay it on top of the extra fabric.  Trace the scrap.  Then you need to make another line 1.5 inches around that.



Cut this shape out.  You will do it twice.  It will look like this.


Turn your romper right side out again.  Lay the U-shaped piece on top of it right sides facing and pin like in the picture below.  You will do this for the front and back side of the romper.


Now you will sew with a 1/4 in. seam allowance around the inside of the legs of your romper one side at a time.


Fold in the outer edge of your U-shaped fabric piece and iron.  It will wrinkle slightly in the curve and that is fine.


 Now take that whole piece and fold it under your romper and iron down.


 Now stitch down along the outer edge of the U-shaped piece. 


Fold up the bottom of each leg 1/4 in. and press, then another 1/4 in. and press.  Hem.


This is what you should have so far.


Now take measurement from #4 above and cut 2 pieces of your 1/2 in. elastic.  Using a safety pin you will feed one piece of elastic into the front of your romper and pin in place, and then repeat for the back side with your other piece of elastic.


Next you want to mark where you will place your snaps.  I spaced mine about 2.5 in. apart around the leg openings.  You want to make it so that the back piece of fabric comes over the front piece to snap.  Look at one of your child's onesies to see what I mean.  Make sure that you have the snaps facing the proper directions before you squeeze them on because they are darn near impossible to get off if you put them on wrong.


Using the measurement from #5 above cut two pieces of 1/4 in. elastic.  Take one of them and place right above the hem on one leg of your romper.  Sew it down 2-3 stitches and backstitch.  Now pull taut and stitch all the way across the leg opening.  Repeat for the opposite leg.


It will create this gathered effect like in the picture below.


Hang in there we are almost finished now I promise!  Take out your bias tape and cut it in half creating two strips for your side ties.  Fold one strip in half to find the center of the tape.  Open up the tape and fold over the side seam in our arm hole so that your ties will be centered.  Repeat for the opposite arm hole using your other strip of bias tape.


Starting at the very end of one of your bias tape strips sew across the short end.  Turn and sew all the way down the side stitching around the arm hole and across the opposite end of the strip.  Repeat for the opposite side.


Ta-Da!  Now put it on your child and take lots of pictures!!


This romper would also look super cute layered with a t-shirt for the fall!  Hope you love it!

44 comments:

  1. This is so adorable! J looks so good in green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! Still learning so every project is an adventure of its own. :)

      Delete
  3. OMG this is just too cute! I love the little polka dots, and she is so adorable in it. Thanks so much for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! Thanks for sharing at the Pomp Party! Pinning to our Pomp Party board!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How adorable! I'd love to have you link this up on my blog party: http://www.hideousdreadfulstinky.com/2012/08/eat-make-grow-thursday-blog-hop-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is adorable! Now I wish I had a sewing machine! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas list! ;) I love mine most of the time... LOL

      Delete
  7. THis is so cute!
    http://the-bellepoque.blogspot.com
    I've followed you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a cute baby romper! This is so cute, thanks for sharing
    www.iheartpears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow thats so cute. I hope i can do that to my daughter too. Anyway, I found your blog in Blog Hop. I am your new follower. Drop by on my blog and say hello.

    www.akachymecindy.com
    www.littleslimgirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must have just read your post? Cause I saw this last night sometime and it was so adorable! I am so glad that you shared it with us at the "Sunday Stop"! Great Tutorial too I need to take lessons from you!
    Hugs,
    Bj

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must have read it on Google+ cause I just became a follower of yours :)
    Hugs,
    Bj

    ReplyDelete
  12. That romper is adorable! And so is your little model! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! I might have to make one for my grandbaby! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, love your blog. Am your newest follower. It would be great if you stopped by Carole's Chatter. You might like to have a peep at the Food on Friday series - each of which is about a different thing. This week it was berries and currants. If you like Carole's Chatter I would be honoured if you followed it. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness. So sweet. This is one of those posts that makes me wish I had a little girl! Thanks so very much for sharing on Show & Tell at SNAP! Loved.

    xoxo, Tauni

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is just too cute! Thanks for sharing on Marvelous Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for linking to our first Eat Make Grow Blog Hop!

    Love your pillowcase romper. I bought a fern patterned pillow case when I was pregnant with my daughter (who we named Fern). Right now it is serving as the changing pad cover, but this is so much cuter. I may have to buy more pillow cases!

    We are already on to Blog Hop #2. I hope you'll come and link to that one as well. Feel free to link to any older posts if you think they are timely and pertinent.

    - Foy
    http://foyupdate.blogspot.com/2012/08/eat-make-grow-thursday-blog-hop-2.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll be posting something new tomorrow, so I'll try to get by and link up! :)

      Delete
  18. Hey lady!! I just found your cute blog via the mingle, and I'm your newest follower! I'd also love to have you check out a fabulous Triple Giveaway I'm having right now!!

    Hope to see you there! And thanks so much!
    xo

    http://emilymmeyers.blogspot.com/2012/08/triple-winner-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to have you, Emily. I followed you back! Blog looks great! Cute shoes in your giveaway, too, but I would break my neck! I'm so not graceful enough to pull that off. :)

      Delete
  19. Ahh, how adorable! I wish I could sew! Thanks so much for linking up to our Pinteresting Party!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just stopping by to let you know that this project has been featured for last week's Marvelous Mondays party. The post will be up later so be sure to stop by and check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So cute! I love rompers!

    http://www.everydaywaiting.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are cute aren't they? And they can only wear them at certain ages and it not look weird, so might as well enjoy that, right? :)

      Delete
  22. This is so adorable!! I don't have kids yet but I can't wait for the day that I can sew them up gorgeous little outfits like this!!

    ~Tash
    http://quirkycraftingshmooglebean.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is too cute! I wish I had kids so that I could make this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You just have to borrow someone else's kids. ;)

      Delete
  24. so creative! We have a sewing group at church called Sewing to Sow. We make Little Dresses for Africa and send them with missionaries all over the world. This romper is so cute. I am going to make one for my great granddaughter who is 6 months old and if it pleases them, we will be making them at church.

    ReplyDelete
  25. My e-mail is ccallahan@myfairpoint.net. My name is Connie. Would love to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete